Working and studying in the UK
by Posted 24 June, 2020

Are you an international student that is interested in earning money while studying in the UK? If you are, you need to know what can and cannot be done on your Tier 4 student visa.

 Tier 4 students cannot:

  • Be self-employed (e.g. as an uber driver) or do freelance work

  • Work as an entertainer or professional coach or sports person

  • Be employed in a full-time, permanent position

  • Take on a full-time internship or work placement during the term that is not part of your studies. 

 You are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the term, and during holidays you may work full-time.  Further information can be found regarding working during your studies through the UK Council for International Student Affairs (  

 If you can work, maximise your opportunity by looking for jobs that are off-campus, such as a coffee shop barista, a clothing sales assistant, or doing promotional work. These are easier to find especially in larger cities. Alternatively, enquire within your university about potential on-campus work roles and positions in administration or customer services, such as in the library. 

Here are a few ideas:

·        Student support officer

·        Waitering at the university cafeteria

·        Sales/Customer assistant

·        Pharmacy or pizza delivery driver

·        Veterinary care assistant

·        Personal Assistant/Research Assistant

·        Gardener

·        Babysitter

·        Receptionist

·        Book Seller

·        Newspaper distributor

·        Software Developer Intern

·        Bartender

Being able to work while studying is a great opportunity to meet a wide range of people. The benefits of working part-time include additional spending money, improving your English, and acquiring skills that will enhance your future career prospects.