Read our essays that provide supplementary information on topics such as accommodation, educational programs, thesis tools, and more.



Coronavirus (Covid-19)


Distance Learning or Online Study





International Students

Jobs and Careers

Mature Students

MBA Programs


Personal Statement



Student Life

Student Welfare

Study Abroad

Study Advice

Study In Australia

Study In Europe

Study In Ireland

Study in UK

Study In USA

Theses and Dissertations

Top 10 Lists



by Posted 24 June, 2020

Moving away from home and into student accommodation, is an exciting step, yet daunting step. It is easy to find accommodation in the UK as a postgrad student. The key is knowing where to start your search and then what do you need to do. Requirements for accommodation applications could involve filling in a form that may need to be submitted along with identity documents, course information, etc.

It is important to choose the accommodation that suits your personality and lifestyle. Most universities to which you’ve applied will provide various options. These might include:

Student Halls

Halls are large blocks of flats with many student bedrooms. This is a reliable option because it is close to the campus grounds and facilities like the library, as well as your lecturers. Bedrooms in student halls, most often have a bed, study desk, storage cupboards, and sometimes a private bathroom. A communal kitchen/living area is shared between 5 and 10 other students. It is best to start looking into this option as early as possible. 

Private accommodation

These are rented houses or large apartments built especially for university students. They are often shared with 5-7 students. The location can vary depending on the provider, but they are generally located close to transport links, allowing you to quickly gain access to the campus. 


To home stay means living with a local family, for a fee. This short term experience is an affordable option and gives students time to adjust to their new life within a warm family setting.

Take your time to decide. Every British University has its own detailed list of accommodation options. This makes the chosen university website a good place to start. 

Irrespective of what you decide, you need to meet application deadlines. Applications can be found online or are available by request via email. Be sure to check when the process for 2021 will start (possibly June/July 2020 depending on the university you have applied for. Bear in mind that with the current COVID19 pandemic, things might have changed). Remember to read the terms and conditions. Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email outlining the necessary details within 6-8 weeks.

Whether this new phase of life means living as an independent student with a place of your own, or life in a university hall, you will have support if you reach out to someone. Remember happy homes mean happy students.

by Posted 24 June, 2020

Students from India, need a student visa to be able to study in the UK. You may only apply for a Tier 4 visa once the university of your choice confirms that you have been accepted for the desired course or degree. Additionally, you will need to prove that you can cover the cost of living and studying in the UK.

To obtain your Tier 4 visa before travelling to the UK, you must apply online.

To apply for your student visa, the following documents need to be submitted:

·      A valid passport

·      Proof of English Proficiency (IELTS)

·      Evidence that you can fund your stay in the UK

·      The result of a TB Test

·      Proof from a parental guardian if you are under 18

It is essential to know that with a Tier 4 student visa; you may only work part-time and you will not be allowed to apply for any public funding or grants.

It's best to apply for your student visa as early as possible. The latest you can leave it is for  three months before the start of your course. It usually takes up to 15 days to receive the visa, but it can take longer during peak times.

If you would like assistance with the process of studying abroad, we can help you to make the best choice and can handle all of the above for you. To find out more about studying in the UK, get in touch with us today.

by Posted 24 June, 2020

Are you an international student that is interested in earning money while studying in the UK? If you are, you need to know what can and cannot be done on your Tier 4 student visa.

 Tier 4 students cannot:

  • Be self-employed (e.g. as an uber driver) or do freelance work

  • Work as an entertainer or professional coach or sports person

  • Be employed in a full-time, permanent position

  • Take on a full-time internship or work placement during the term that is not part of your studies. 

 You are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the term, and during holidays you may work full-time.  Further information can be found regarding working during your studies through the UK Council for International Student Affairs (  

 If you can work, maximise your opportunity by looking for jobs that are off-campus, such as a coffee shop barista, a clothing sales assistant, or doing promotional work. These are easier to find especially in larger cities. Alternatively, enquire within your university about potential on-campus work roles and positions in administration or customer services, such as in the library. 

Here are a few ideas:

·        Student support officer

·        Waitering at the university cafeteria

·        Sales/Customer assistant

·        Pharmacy or pizza delivery driver

·        Veterinary care assistant

·        Personal Assistant/Research Assistant

·        Gardener

·        Babysitter

·        Receptionist

·        Book Seller

·        Newspaper distributor

·        Software Developer Intern

·        Bartender

Being able to work while studying is a great opportunity to meet a wide range of people. The benefits of working part-time include additional spending money, improving your English, and acquiring skills that will enhance your future career prospects.

by Posted 24 June, 2020

Deciding where to stay while studying in the UK can leave you feeling overwhelmed, but don’t fret, every year students face similar worries and fears. Whether you are considering a student hall or have your sights set on private accommodation, there are a few things to consider. 

 Student halls or halls of residence are provided by the universities. They are large buildings often divided into individual flats where you may have the option of taking a single room or sharing with another student. Student Halls are a safe, comfortable, and affordable option. Although basic, the rooms are usually furnished with a bed, desk, and chair. There is an option for a private ensuite room with a separate shower and toilet, but most often, the kitchen and bathroom are shared with other students. Other communal facilities include a common room, a tv room, a small shop, and a laundry. Sometimes men and women share the same hall, however, most universities will also have single-sex halls for those who prefer such arrangements. Student halls have a self-catering option or you may want to include catered meals as part of your overall accommodation cost, where you will be able to eat in a designated dining room or cafeteria. Access to all university facilities including after-hour programs like on-site tutoring, counsellors, or mentors. Travel costs are minimal as these buildings are often in or near the campus. Student halls offer security, along with basic maintenance and access to Wi-Fi.

 Private accommodation can be found in large buildings where students can rent rooms within shared flats. This means that you can rent a private room while sharing communal spaces such as a kitchen, bathroom, and lounge with your housemates. You will have the option to select the housemates that you are going to stay with – they are often like-minded local or international students that have the potential to become your life-long friends. Unlike student hall accommodation where the university includes additional costs as part of the rent, household costs such as water and electricity and even maintenance will need to be divided between all housemates within the home or apartment. Depending on your lifestyle and study needs, the location of your home is your choice. Some advantages of private accommodation include - signing a lease contract with a landlord means you do not have to leave the room during the holidays and you are not surrounded by hundreds of other rooms filled with potentially rowdy students, so it is usually a lot quieter. Although you will have a lot more freedom, along with a sense of independence, you will have to do your research and understand all that is involved with private rentals.

 When it comes to choosing where to stay, you will have to decide which aspects are most important to you, such as location, safety, finance, or social needs.

by Posted 24 June, 2020

If you are thinking about studying in the UK, you need to know that all master's degrees include two programmes: taught and research. The level of independence you would prefer to have will determine the difference between these programmes during your studies.


Taught master's degrees are course-based, which means that during the year you are required to complete a series of modules or courses consisting of a timetable of class discussions, lectures, and other activities. Lecturers and academics will lead you through the course, but it is your responsibility to focus your attention on thorough study and reading around the subjects. There will be assessments throughout the year through assignments, examinations, and tests. Finally, you will submit a written thesis, usually between 10,000-20,000 words towards the end of the course.


Research master's degrees are independent, which means that you will have no timetable, no classes, and no tests. The focus of your programme will be to explore a topic in-depth through intense research. You will spend the full year researching one or more themes or subjects as pre-agreed by your expert supervisor, with whom you will work closely. They will give support, offer advice, and provide feedback throughout the year. The research will involve critical investigation and evaluation of the subject and will require that you analyse your results and formulate a research proposal or thesis. An oral examination will usually follow this.


There are pros and cons to each of the offered programmes, but a master's degree will allow you to further your knowledge of a subject and move you into a specific career direction. Right Shift will be able to provide you with the necessary support in terms of deciding which programme is best suited to you.